Last weekend was about adieus and good byes. Adieu to the birds migrating to India and to strawberries, the seasonal fruits of spring. As the winters are departing and summers are approaching, those guest species of birds from the countries in the northern hemisphere return to their home.
I have been visiting this bird sanctuary, Sultanpur National Park, every year from past three years, along with my friend. An early morning visit to this birds natural home is so refreshing and soothing to my ears and eyes. We are lucky that it is just at a distance of 15 KM from my home. November to early march is the best time to go see those birds. And we didn’t want to miss our chance to say them goodbye.
And a recipe with strawberries which matched up to the theme of the weekend was this light, healthy, low on fat and refreshing Strawberry & Apple Crumble. The tart flavor of strawberries, sweetness of apples and the crunchiness of nuts and the oats make this dessert even good for your breakfast.
6 apples (peeled and diced)
150 gm strawberries (chopped)
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon powder
3 tbsp plain flour
60 gm chilled butter
45 gm oats
- Toss chopped apples, strawberries, lemon juice, almonds, raisins, cinnamon powder and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Pour the fruit mix in 6 ramekins or in a shallow pie dish and press the fruits gently.
- To make crumble topping, mix flour and sugar in a separate bowl.
- Put in cold butter cut into pieces and work with finger tips to make a breadcrumbs like texture. Mix in the oats lightly with a spoon.
- Put this crumble over the fruit mixture, pressing down gently to cover the top & seal the fruit in.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for about 30 minutes.