Before I say anything else, I want to seriously apologize for having been away from this lovely place and you wonderful readers for almost an entire month. First, family was here for almost two weeks and then I got myself busy into few other things, which have taken a priority for the time being. At least for a couple of months to follow. Now that doesn’t mean I am going to stay away for all those months to follow, but the number of times I’d be connecting with you and feeding you guys visually with my food pictures, would be a little less. But I promise to come back at least once a month, if not twice. When family visited last month, we baked lots of cakes and cookies. And we also made desserts. It was then when I baked this wonderful hearty and super healthy whole wheat and brown rice bread, which I have adapted from talented Amy Chaplin’s At home in the whole food kitchen. This wonderful cookbook is full of vegan and vegetarian recipes made using whole foods which help you get your daily nourishment. I have also started stressing on the habit of eating right these days, although with a occasional binging here and there. Now when I am trying to set my diet regime right, I have bumped up my physical exercise duration in a day. And that makes me stay lighter and rejuvenated during the entire day. I love to take hearty oatmeal smoothies and homemade cultured buttermilk and a big bowl of fruits with me to my workplace. Because I believe eating healthy also affects your efficiency positively. Now coming back to this whole wheat brown rice bread, it’s one of those hearty breads which you’d like to start your day with toasting and slathering with either mashed avocado or fresh homemade ricotta. Because it’s summer, so I made my toast and spread some gorgeous homemade ricotta and topped them with seasonal stewed plums and some toasted almonds. Wow! such goodness and life in a single slice of toast made of a wholesome healthy bread.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- Combine whole wheat flour, cornmeal, yeast and salt in a bowl. Add 1 1/2 cup water and mix until combined. Add more water 1 tbsp at a time, till dough is really wet and sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 14 hours. Batter will look puffy and bubbly.
- Brush loaf pan with oil. Uncover the dough and add brown rice and half of sesame seeds and flaxseeds to the dough. Mix using your hands.
- Place dough in oiled pan and press lightly to distribute evenly. Sprinkle top with remaining sesame seeds and flaxseeds and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Bake bread for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until crust has formed and bread sounds hollow when tapped at the bottom.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container for a couple of days.
Hi Himanshu! I found you through my friend Nicole’s site. Congratulations on winning the DMBLGiT contest! I’m enjoying browsing your beautiful site – stunning photos and recipes 🙂 Nic and I are part of Food Bloggers Central which is a Facebook Group for food bloggers, it would be fabulous if you were interested in joining! There are joining instructions on the site – > https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodbloggerscentral/
PS Very curious about your background, off to read more!