When it comes to ice cream, of all the flavors, I like vanilla the most. Not even this flavor has got it’s own identity, but it is surely a great accompaniment of various kinds of tarts, brownies, bars or even a plain jane fruit salad. Such is the melding of two great flavors which you get in these snacky portable on-the-go vanilla ice cream sandwiches.
Vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two thin chocolate wafers. They are so convenient to eat that you don’t need any plate, fork or knife. Just take them out of freezer and enjoy them in nearly three bites.
To make my life simple, I decided to use store brought vanilla ice cream, rather than making it from scratch at home. But it wasn’t that simpler I had thought. Temperature here in north of India is touching 45 degree Celsius. And handling the ice cream in such an intense heat had really become a tough job for me.
I was literally dancing between the freezer and the platform, cutting a small block of ice cream, sandwiching between the wafers, wrapping them with a brown paper, tying them with a thread and swiftly popping them into the freezer, before the ice cream starts to melt. It was quicker than answering a rapid fire question round.
Recipe from Martha Stewart
1 2/3 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
60 gm butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp milk
500 ml vanilla ice cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the wrappings (optional)
brown paper cut into 1 inch stripes
thread to tie
quick drying adhesive
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter with sugar until pale in color.
- Beat in egg, vanilla extract and milk.
- Add flour to the mixture and mix to combine well.
- Divide the dough into two halves and make round discs, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour at least.
- Roll dough to an 1/8 inch thickness and cut squares using pastry wheel cutter. Make holes using back of a toothpick and bake them for 8-10 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Let cool slightly on baking sheet and then completely on a wire rack.
- Using a sharp knife or same pastry cutter, cut vanilla ice cream of about 1/2 inch thickness and sandwich it with in two cookies.
- Transfer to refrigerator to harden for around 2 hours.
- Wrap the paper stripes around the sandwiches and tie them with a thread (optional).
WOW…lovely 🙂 bahot…bahot acche…:)
thank you sir…:)
very delicious………really very awesome taste! ……………i love these sandwiches
Ashwin Sahai says
looks yummy…keep up the good work 🙂
thanks for the motivation 🙂
Excellent job in recreating Martha Stewart’s recipe! The ice cream sandwiches look delicious!
Thank you so much…Martha’s recipes are easy to follow and recreate