This is the kind of chocolate cake which will fix all your problems. Like an elixir, you see. No exaggeration. A wonderful moist dark chocolate and almond dessert cake, is all you need for all your chocolate fix. And this is by far the best recipe of chocolate cake I have ever tried, if I say so to myself.
A fudgy chocolate cake with really deep flavors. Plus, this has got all the nice ingredients. Don’t let the name dessert cake keep you away from this wonderful chocolate cake, all you health conscious folks. As this has got the goodness of dark chocolate, so you could chose on to using the one with 70% of the cocoa solids.
This has got the good fats from the almond meal. And not only just the goodness of nut fats, it gets a super moist texture from the amount of almond meal being used in this cake, as compared to flour. In fact, only using almond meal would work good too.
Next, it has got brown sugar, not the refined unhealthy white sugar. And if that also isn’t enough, it has got whole wheat flour. Yeah, so I took chance to use wholewheat flour instead of suggested plain flour, as the amount of flour used is really less, as compared to other ingredients. And it worked like a magic too. No distinct hint of wholewheat flour.
I know, I sound more like selling this cake to you all, by any means. But trust me, you wouldn’t feel guilty after having a slice of this cake. It is that good. Did I tell you, that it is as easy as it tastes good. Yups, you need a bowl and whisk and some good quality ingredients. So lesser utensils to clean too.
That’s not enough, you could make this cake in advance too, if planning for a dinner party, as it needs it’s own time to set in the fridge. Serve it alongside some fresh fruits and a dollop of whipped cream, a perfect way to complete your dinner. This is a recipe adapted from Donna Hay’s Fast Fresh & Simple. Her recipes are such fun to make, truly Fast Fresh and Simple. I have tried her many recipes, and none of them have disappointed me ever. And this one won’t disappoint you either. So, give it a try!
375 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids, recommended)
175 gm light brown sugar
120 gm almond meal
35 gm wholewheat flour
100 gm butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
cocoa for dusting
- Preheat oven at 170 degree C. Grease and line a 8.5 inch springform pan with parchment paper, both on the bottom and on the walls and keep aside.
- In a bowl, melt the chocolate with butter over a simmering double boiler, ensuring the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Once, chocolate has melted, mix in the sugar. Sift in the flour. Add the almond meal and mix well. Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Crack in all the eggs and mix well to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Cover the top loosely with aluminium foil and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan and then stand in fridge for 3-4 hours to let it set completely.
- Dust with cocoa powder when ready to serve.