Strawberry & Orange Sorbet
March 4, 2014 § 19 Comments
It’s getting warmer day by day! The foggy and dull winter days have long gone. Nip in the air has already been replaced by the sunny and warm days of spring! Sun shines over us throughout the day, and it feels so good. Strawberries and oranges are in full bloom and have flooded the markets. You just can’t ignore them.
We’ve already cooked/baked a lot with these luscious fruits of spring! But still there is a rush to try out more and more with each passing day. There’s a rush that they’d be gone soon. I have frozen a big stash of strawberries in my fridge and I am all set to enjoy them all throughout the year, in my breakfast smoothies, in pouring sauces or in ice creams in days to come.
We even started our new year with strawberries this year. Yeah, I am that crazy about these wonderful berries. And why not! We don’t get other stuff like blueberries, blackberries or raspberries, here homegrown. Though we get the super expensive imported stuff or the frozen ones, I just give them a pass any day over fresh and local produce. So I tend to love them more than anything else, of them being seasonal, fresh and locally produced.
Few days back, I mentioned about the strawberry and orange sorbet I made, but I couldn’t get the shots well. So I made the recipe again and here I am with the wonderful frozen dessert I simply am in love with! Sorbets are a nice, light and refreshing treat to anyone.
And I love them in dessert as much as I enjoy them as a palate cleanser. The beauty of them is that they have the right punch of the flavors and don’t make you feel heavy, but rather they remind of the frozen candy bars, we used to enjoy during childhood days.
This one has the right punch of flavors, luscious fragrant strawberries pair really well with the citrus tang of the oranges, and reminds of the sunny summer days! It’s a wonderful treat for any sunny day. Try it and share it with your friends and family to enjoy it rather more!
Recipe minimally adapted from The Perfect Scoop
750 gm fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh orange juice
grated zest of 2 oranges
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until strawberries are soft. Adjust the sugar depending upon the tartness of the fruit. Let cool completely.
- Place the cooked fruit with all the liquid into a blender and whiz to make a smooth puree.
- Pass the pureed fruit through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing gently to remove the seeds.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, preferably overnight. Freeze the mixture into your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instruction.
- Enjoy it straight out of the ice cream maker or freeze it in a container to be enjoyed later.