“Who says you need summers to gulp down the icy cold lemonades”, I reiterated this to myself thinking it doesn’t really matters if summers aren’t still here. Ideally, the season should have been upon us by now, but I think, with a couple of thunderstorms and some snowfalls in higher up the mountains, it is delayed by a couple of weeks probably. But you know that cravings can’t be delayed. I have been sipping onto icy cold drinks in my office lately, stealing away quick breaks from work in the afternoon; could it be a glass of fresh orange juice, an ice tea or even a large tumbler of iced coffee for that matter. And then I realized it’s the right time to make lemonade at home. Right when you’ve got fresh juicy strawberries and fragrant oranges from the Spring season. Another excuse to make something with the seasonal produce! This recipe has got no rules and is really dead simple. It’s just about eyeballing of ingredients and make your own concoction. And as this recipe doesn’t involve any cooking of fruit, it would stay good in fridge for a couple of days only. A quick blending of all the ingredients in a liquidizer and all you get is lovely and refreshing lemonade. Besides being cold and refreshing, it is full of vitamins and minerals from the real fruit. So, go for it, before these lovely berries and oranges disappear with the soon fleeting Spring.
- 750 gm strawberries, washed, hulled & cut in halves, about 4 cups
- 2 Oranges, juiced and rind separated
- 1 lemon, juiced and rind separated
- 3/4 cup honey, adjust based on your preference and sweetness of strawberries
- 4 cups of water
- Strawberry slices and mint leaves. to garnish
- Put strawberries, orange juice, rind, lemon juice and lemon rind, honey and 1 cup of water in a blender and blend on high speed.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Add remaining water and ice.
- Serve chilled in glasses with strawberry slices and mint leaves as garnish.
If summer isn´t here yet, let´s at least have vibrantly colored summer drinks! Summer is a state of mind, right ?!
who cares if its summer, give me all the lovely lemonades… especially this one