Happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful loving mothers! Not that just this one single day is Mother’s Day but I feel every other day should be this much special for this symbol of selfless love and care. Because when I look up to mommy, she hasn’t changed a slight bit in all those years raising, feeding and taking care of us. Even when I stay far from her, she’s still that worried about if I have had my everyday dinner on time or not. If I am doing all well or not. For her, I am still a kid. I believe parents are like that only, especially mothers. They have this ever expanding source of love and care inside them. In my home, I have got two mommys; my mother and my grandmother. So I am doubly lucky to have this downpour of their love on me, which I believe is quite hard to put into words. And besides getting pampered from them, I have learnt a lot from them. Today, I have baked these egg free orange blossom pistachio chocolate cookies for them. These buttery shortbread cookies are extra special and indulgent because of addition of fragrant orange blossom water, pistachio nuts and milk chocolate. These are Arabic inspired cookies which have been formed into a ring shape. If you can’t find orange blossom water, you could also use rose extract. Or may be, edible rose petals and dark chocolate in place of milk chocolate.
- 200 gm unsalted butter
- 200 gm superfine sugar
- 400 gm plain flour
- 1 tbsp orange rind
- 1/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachio
- 200 gm milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 170 degree C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together, until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in orange rind, juice and orange blossom water. Fold in flour.
- Taking 1 tbsp of dough, roll them into "snake" shape. Turn them into ring bringing two ends together and pinching them. Repeat until you have used the complete dough.
- Place them on prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden on edges. Place cookies on wire rack, until cooled completely.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate either on a double boiler or in microwave. Dip the cookies in melted chocolate and sprinkle the pistachio nuts. Let them stand again on wire rack in fridge, until chocolate sets.
Sarvani (baker in disguise) says
These are just lovely!! If I might ask, where did you find the orange blossom water in delhi?? have been looking for it…but just haven’t been able to find it anywhere..
Thank you Sarvani 🙂 a friend was travelling from US and I requested him to get me a bottle of it.
Very nice. I’m glad I visited. I used to have a similar cookie years ago from a local bakery. I think I just found the recipe, looks so delicious.
Thanks for visiting. 🙂 Let me know if this is somewhere close to what you have memories about.
That’s a wonderful recipe and sounds so simple and doable. An orange lover that I am, I have to try them soon!