If last weekend was about visiting the God’s abode in the cave temples of north, offering prayers to deity, along with my friends, it was also about missing my little sweet bakery for four long days. While I was travelling, I had been constantly and badly missing my weekend baking ritual. I had been hearing my friends calling cupcakes, brownies, cookies and what not, even when these words were never uttered. It was clearly showing on my mind!!!
As soon as I returned home, I threw in some good quality ingredients to bake these gorgeously light but decadent olive oil walnut brownies, to appease the rising baking monster in me. I was so desperate to taste them, that I couldn’t even wait for few minutes to let them cool completely. That hurriedness resulted into uneven and clumsy edges, which obviously I didn’t mind. After all who needs perfection in life.
This recipe was passed over by a sweet friend, whose mother used to bake these at home every month. This is an old classic recipe which had lots of melted butter in it, which I substituted with olive oil. The brownies came out crunchy, gooey and chewy because of lots of air entrapped into the batter.
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tbsp good quality unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
110 gm dark chocolate
1/3 cup extra virgin or light olive oil
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix flour, cocoa powder and salt together and keep aside.
- In a bowl melt chocolate with olive oil over a double boiler.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together for 5 minutes until light and airy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate using a spatula.
- Add flour to the mixture and mix until flour is just incorporated. Take care not to over mix.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top using a spatula.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in 180 C preheated oven or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan. Cut into equal sized squares/rectangles.
fantastic pics… stunning !!!
thank you so much
your pictures are amazing…i’m not a walnut fan, but these olive oil brownies seem pretty compelling 🙂
yeah they were yummy…you should try them.
Gorgeous brownies with olive oil and the pictures are sensational!
So many of us made brownies last week. That’s quite funny 🙂
yeah…actually when Deeba made those wholewheat brownies last week, it just triggered my appetite for them and I ended up baking some 🙂
Anita Menon says
Olive oil brownies – i have made them and they exude a fantastic aroma and a very nutty flavour. Its healthier too!.And with walnuts its a double the goodness. Beautiful pics
yeah very true…they have that fantastic aroma and nutty flavor and the healthier side leaves you wanting more of them