“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade….”
Things aren’t going pretty good. And I am trying to cope hard with that, I try to boost up my can-do attitude towards all the adversity and misfortune and take all bad things positively. And in this pursuit, I sometimes stand strong and sometimes give up. But that is how life is.
“Life handed him a lemon, As Life sometimes will do.
His friends looked on in pity, Assuming he was through.
They came upon him later, Reclining in the shade
In calm contentment, drinking A glass of lemonade.”
~ Clarence Edwin
I had some lemons in my fridge. Timing was perfect, right when I needed a big slice of homemade cake to cheer up my mood. I made this pretty and delicious lemon yogurt cake and crowned it with sour and slightly bitter candied lemon slices. It came out to be a really moist sweet and buttery lemon cake with a sour and acidic lemon slices and syrup, which cut through the sweetness of cake and balanced out the flavors so well.
I am ecstatic as I am going on a trip to mountains in north for next five days, all away from the current madness and I hope to soak up as much of calmness as I could. So see you until then!
Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons
For Candied Lemon Slices
3/4 cup caster(superfine) sugar
1/3 cup water
2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C and grease a 12 cup bundt cake pan.
- Use a whisk to mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 1/2 cups sugar, yogurt, oil, eggs, lemon juice, and zest until smooth.
- Mix about one-third of the dry ingredients into the yogurt mixture, then stir the rest in, in two batches, just until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in pan and then invert onto wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, to make the candied lemon slices, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the lemon and bring to the boil. Cook for 12–15 minutes or until the syrup has thickened and the lemons are translucent.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and top with the lemon.
Enjoy your break!
I will…thank you for the wishes 🙂
Beautiful pictures as always. Candied lemon slices are really appealing.
Thank you 🙂
Awww…hope things get better. Have a lovely trip.
Thanks I hope so 🙂
Ada ~ More Food, Please says
I love lemon yogurt cake! Yours looks so beautiful!
Thank you 🙂
Anita Menon says
Appraisal time? 🙂
I am going through some madness myself. I wish I could help myself with a getaway like yours. Enjoy your vacation. Where are you going? My favourites were Binsar and Dhanaulty. Less commercial and stunning mountains.
THe lemon yogurt cake sounds just perfect for a bad day.
No not appraisal…yeah but work only. What a sweet coincidence. We are on our way to binsar. And tomorrow will leave for munsiyari 🙂
Anita Menon says
Have fun. Do a vacation post with lovely pictures of binsar and munsiyari.
This is such a gorgeous yet simple cake. I love anything lemon.
Awww… Hope things get better for you.. Enjoy the break in mountains!! 🙂
One can never go wrong with David Lobovitz plus I absolutely love anything lemon! Needless to say gorgeous pictures!