Come weekend and the mood gets relaxed on it’s own. I think the mind is clever too. It needs to be dragged during the week somehow. But when it knows that it’s Friday evening, it somehow gets supercharged and recovers swiftly from all the boredom of a week. And that is when it demands for a super fun drink which could possibly bring one to a joyous mood. And when it’s summer and the temperature is soaring up to 48 degree C, it has to be something citrusy and fruity. And one of my favorite summer drink is Mojito. I just love the lime and mint pairing. It’s just so refreshing, with or without alcohol. And last weekend, it got even better, when we muddled some fresh pineapple chunks and topped the glasses with grilled pineapple wedges. Oh so tropical, oh so summery! One sip of it and I knew my weekend was all sorted.
- 1 pineapple (half cut into small cubes and half into wedges)
- 5 limes
- 1 bunch mint leaves, plus sprigs to serve
- 250 ml white rum (optional)
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 liter soda water
- crushed ice, to serve
- For grilled pineapple, mix 2 tbsp honey and juice of one lime in a bowl. Soak the pineapple wedges into honey and lime juice for five minutes. Meanwhile, heat a grill pan. Place the pineapple wedges on to grill pan and grill for 2 minutes on both sides on high. Chill in fridge.
- Slice 4 limes thinly and divide chopped pineapple, lime slices, mint, rum and honey among 8 glasses. Use a muddler to roughly bruise. Top each glass with soda water and ice. Garnish with extra lime slices, mint leaves and grilled pineapple wedges.